Tunes I recorded in the 90s found on a few cassette tapes in my folks’ loft.
Some of these tunes have suffered from a bit of cassette tape wobble. To be fair, the cassette tapes in question had been lurking in a box in the loft since the mid-90s.
Before uploading these to YouTube I tried to fix the audio, using:
- Reaper: Compression, EQ, stereo-widening, editing.
- Audacity: noise reduction, normalising.
Gear and background
I was made redundant for the first time in 1994. I hadn’t been in a band for a couple of years so spent some of the redundancy pay on home-studio gear:
- Yamaha MT8X multitrack cassette recorder
- Kawai Q80EX sequencer
- Yamaha TG100 synthesizer
- Kawai XS-1 synthesizer
- Alesis Quadraverb+ multi-effects unit
- Zoom 9050s multi-effects unit
After writing some fairly ropey guitar-based songs I started trying my hand at electronic music. Unfortunately, the gear I’d bought wasn’t really up to the job.
Neither the TG100 or XS-1 were particularly flexible – they’re fairly basic romplers – and neither had filters. Anything that sounds like a filter is the wah/autowah/cry from the Zoom 9050s.
Things which would take a few minutes with a computer now took a few hours to programme on the Q80EX – I spent a big amount of time looking at a small amount of LCD screen.
A lot of the tracks from thirty years ago (eek!) don’t hold up particularly well, and many of them weren’t much good in the first place.
These are four that I’m still pleased with.